Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Coach Jason Scott Headed to USA Indoor Nationals


Assistant XC/Track & Field Coach Jason Scott

With the NAIA Indoor Track & Field National Championships looming next week, Assistant XC/Track & Field Coach Jason Scott is heading to Albuquerque, New Mexico to compete at the USA Indoor National Championship meet on Saturday, February 27. Coach Scott has qualified in the pole vault where his current season best mark of 5.41m (17'9") ranks him 10th nationally heading into an event that will include multiple US Olympians.

RunHLG took some time to talk with Coach Scott as he prepares to return to the Indoor National meet, where he took home 4th place honors in 2009.

Describe your mindset as you get set to compete at USA Indoor Nationals: I want to put together everything I have been working on and focus on what I need to do and, most importantly, be a great witness and glorify the Lord.

How has competing in last year's championships prepared you for this year's event? It has helped to build my confidence that I can compete with the best and that anything can happen.

What are your goals/expectations for this year's championship meet? Stay focused and get on my big poles and, Lord willing, vault over 18 feet.

You will be competing at an altitude of around 5000 feet. How does that affect your preparation?
I will need to try to limit my warm-up and keep my heart rate stable. I just need to keep things light until I make the necessary adjustments.

You are known for your interesting uniforms, which often contain Scripture references. What is the motive behind your competition apparel and how has it been received? I know that I can't do anything without the Lord's help and want others to see that as well. The only reason I am out there vaulting is to glorify Him and use the talents He has given me.

Describe your experience at HLG so far: It has been a great atmosphere to both coach and train. The team has been really fun to work with along with having a great coach that gives me the flexibility to pursue my dreams. I feel like we are a big family and I look forward to seeing what the rest of the season has in store.

No comments: